Cinco De Mayo may just be one of my favourite days of the entire year. While it actually commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French in 1862, today’s Cinco is a huge celebration full of Mexican flair. Think of margaritas, Mexican food, dancing and games. And while those all seem great, let’s be real, it’s the food that gets me. I LOVE Mexican food. Then again, who doesn’t!? There’s a very good chance that at any given point in time, you could find me chowing down on tacos in my kitchen and I’m not ashamed to admit that.
This Cinco De Mayo, I teamed up with some of my favorite bloggers to share our best Mexican inspired recipes with you! I wanted to share a recipe that I actually make quite frequently. I have always loved breakfast sandwiches and I have always loved tacos, so merging them together was pretty much a no brainer. I generally make the components for these tacos separately and assemble them just before serving. This keeps them fresh for longer and allows them to be stored in the fridge for a few days. This also allows me to have a quick, easy and DELICIOUS meal in the morning when I’m in a rush! And, as if you needed more reasons to try these tacos out, this recipe is super easy to double or triple to serve a large group – perfect for your Cinco De Mayo party!
If you’re looking for other Cinco De Mayo recipes, make sure to check out these incredible vegan bloggers and their Cinco recipes!
Vegan Travel Eats – Flauta Platter
Plant Based Jane – Taco Stuffed Shells
The Plant Philosophy – Vegan Sheet Pan Fajita Elote Nachos
Sweet Simple Vegan – Chilaquiles
Conscious Chris – Huevos Rancheros
So without further ado… here is my recipe for Mexican Style Breakfast Tacos. Enjoy!! This recipe is easily adaptable to your personal tastes. If you like it spicy, add more jalapeño. If you prefer red bell pepper to yellow, use red. If you love tomatoes, throw those in. Don’t like cilantro? Skip it.
Tip: Once your tacos are assembled, it’s best to consume them immediately as the tortilla will slowly begin to get soggy from the toppings. If you’d like to “prep” this meal in advance, simply store the toppings in separate containers, ready to be heated and assembled before serving.
I can’t wait for you to enjoy this easy and delicious recipe! If you make it, please tag me (@theveganjetsetter) as I love seeing your creations!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg (or other egg replacement)
- 1 cup of vegan sausage (I use Lightlife's Gimme Lean)
- 1 cup rinsed cooked black beans
- 1 large bell pepper (yellow, red or orange), chopped
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- 4 corn or wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1/2 tsp salt
- salsa to garnish
- vegan cheese to garnish
- chopped cilantro and sliced green onion to garnish
- In a medium sized pan, sauté the onion in 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the bell pepper, black beans, jalapeño and salt and sauté for another 3-4 minutes until semi-soft.
- In a separate bowl, create your VeganEgg mixture following the instructions on the package (combine 4 tbsp with 1 cup of cold water and whisk well). Pour this mixture into your pan, using a spatula to mix it as it cooks. It is important to constantly mix the VeganEgg at this point to avoid sticking to the pan. Once your VeganEgg is thoroughly cooked, approximately 5 minutes, set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium-high and sauté your vegan sausage of choice until thoroughly cooked through.
- Now it's time to assemble. On each individual tortilla, place your VeganEgg and vegetable mixture and layer with vegan sausage. Top with a slice of avocado, chopped cilantro and sliced green onion (to taste). Drizzle salsa on top or sprinkle your favorite vegan cheese (optional).
- Repeat on all of the tortillas.
Vegan Sheet-Pan Fajita Elote Nachos - The Plant Philosophy
[…] Travel Eats’ Cheesy Beefy Flauta Platter The Vegan Jetsetter’s Mexican Breakfast Tacos Sweet Simple Vegan’s Chilaquiles Sweet Simple Vegan’s Huevos Rancheros Edgy Veg’s […]